Hassle Free Boilers supports gas safety week.
We’re proud to support Gas Safety Week. We’re sharing helpful gas safe information that will help keep you and your family safe and may even save you money.
Rachel’s story brings to light the importance of ensuring any gas work is undertaken by the correct and qualified people.
Rachel Broad and Ian Fellows employed an unregistered gas fitter, for the removal of a boiler from a downstairs toilet, installation of new gas boiler in an upstairs children’s bedroom/playroom, and the installation of a duel fuel cooker in the kitchen as part of building work involving the extension of the property. These appliances also involved the installation of gas pipes. Lee Lawrence from Amber Plumbing Solutions was using the Gas Safe Register logo on its website and business cards, falsely claiming to be registered.
Once installed, the boiler and the cooker started leaking.
With the boiler not running for long before shutting down, and being smelly and noisy, Rachel and Ian stopped using it and were made to install ventilation into the room due to the smell. A registered engineer was then called to make the property safe and provide a statement of the gas work that had been carried out.
It was found that the flue to the gas boiler was unsafely connected; the gas connection to the fuel cooker was also poor, with faulty connections all over the appliances. The registered engineer classified the gas work in accordance with the Gas Industry Unsafe situations procedure as ‘immediately dangerous’. The boiler and cooker were condemned. The estimated total cost of fixing the problem was £50,000 to £60,000.
The consequences of unsafe gas work can be serious.
The unregistered gas fitter has since been charged with a 6 month prison sentence, 12 month suspension, 180 hours of community service and £5,400 compensation.
If you’re carrying out home improvement, no matter how big or small, find out if it will involve gas work or impact on your existing gas appliances. Check out our nine gas safety tips to make sure your home is gas safe.